
I have (un)officially been working for a week. Unofficially because I'm waiting on my work permit. Still, I've been attending meetings and orientation, with full expectations of work permit coming through. This week, the work days are short (9-3) but I'm commuting with Julia, so I'm there as though it were a normal day, from 8-5:30.
I've been contracted to teach English and Social Studies from 3-6 grades. Yesterday I found out they are still looking for a 2nd grade teacher, and offered to move if it would be easier to find an English teacher. The head of school is interviewing this weekend, and I'll hopefully find out her decision next week.
My coworkers and colleagues seem very nice. I've made quick friends with the school librarian, and the other new 2nd grade teacher. They are living in Neuss, within biking distance from the school, and their happiness there is making me consider moving into the city.
On that note, we are considering where we will live once we leave our cushy, temporary place with Julia. It's more expensive in the city, but we'll be in biking distance to work and really close to parks and nightlife. Unfortunately, we wouldn't have a garden for Spirit, our dog, and our kids to run around in. We have found a less expensive 3 bedroom house to rent here in Wegberg, and emailed the owner. He is on vacation for a couple of weeks, so we're hoping to speak with him at the end of August, perhaps for an October 1 move in date.
The kids are adjusting well. One the weekend, we went to a large swimming hall that had about 7 pools. We stayed mainly in the toddler pool, the water slide, and the warm "variobad". "Vario" meaning the floor was adjustable for different depths, to host events. We really tired the kids out, and they had a lot of fun.
We also live up the street from an indoor place area, that is family friendly and pretty affordable. Chris took the kids for a long walk and found a couple playgrounds, so they are all getting to know the neighborhood.
Aubrey met two girls while playing outside the other day, and looks forward to some playtime each day with them. They are 9 and 10, and are trying very hard to communicate with Aubrey. It is very reminiscent of when I was six, and met Julia. I've suggested that when they are playing, Aubrey should same the name of things in English, and the girls shouls then say it in German, so they learn from each other. This seems to be working well.
We plan to visit a kindergarten today, to see if we can afford to take Keira and Brady there while I work, and if Chris gets a job. I think I might also run by Ikea for a small toybox to keep downstairs.
There is a castle, Schlossburg, nearby that is holding a medieval jousting tournament this and next weekend. We're hoping to make it there for that experience. This castle is much more "castle like" than Schloss Benrath (The pink palace) we visited last year.
That's all of our current news I think, I'll update again sometime next week.
I've been contracted to teach English and Social Studies from 3-6 grades. Yesterday I found out they are still looking for a 2nd grade teacher, and offered to move if it would be easier to find an English teacher. The head of school is interviewing this weekend, and I'll hopefully find out her decision next week.
My coworkers and colleagues seem very nice. I've made quick friends with the school librarian, and the other new 2nd grade teacher. They are living in Neuss, within biking distance from the school, and their happiness there is making me consider moving into the city.
On that note, we are considering where we will live once we leave our cushy, temporary place with Julia. It's more expensive in the city, but we'll be in biking distance to work and really close to parks and nightlife. Unfortunately, we wouldn't have a garden for Spirit, our dog, and our kids to run around in. We have found a less expensive 3 bedroom house to rent here in Wegberg, and emailed the owner. He is on vacation for a couple of weeks, so we're hoping to speak with him at the end of August, perhaps for an October 1 move in date.
The kids are adjusting well. One the weekend, we went to a large swimming hall that had about 7 pools. We stayed mainly in the toddler pool, the water slide, and the warm "variobad". "Vario" meaning the floor was adjustable for different depths, to host events. We really tired the kids out, and they had a lot of fun.
We also live up the street from an indoor place area, that is family friendly and pretty affordable. Chris took the kids for a long walk and found a couple playgrounds, so they are all getting to know the neighborhood.
Aubrey met two girls while playing outside the other day, and looks forward to some playtime each day with them. They are 9 and 10, and are trying very hard to communicate with Aubrey. It is very reminiscent of when I was six, and met Julia. I've suggested that when they are playing, Aubrey should same the name of things in English, and the girls shouls then say it in German, so they learn from each other. This seems to be working well.
We plan to visit a kindergarten today, to see if we can afford to take Keira and Brady there while I work, and if Chris gets a job. I think I might also run by Ikea for a small toybox to keep downstairs.
There is a castle, Schlossburg, nearby that is holding a medieval jousting tournament this and next weekend. We're hoping to make it there for that experience. This castle is much more "castle like" than Schloss Benrath (The pink palace) we visited last year.
That's all of our current news I think, I'll update again sometime next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment