On Friday, 19 September, I braved the train system and went to Bremerhaven to pick up our jetta. With a slight delay on the train, I still made it to Bremerhaven train station by 1:30, and then with a taxi went to the port by 1:45. After the man at the shipper helped fill in customs paperwork, I got my car and went to customs.
At first, I seemed to have ticked of the customs agent, because I didn't understand "Postfach." I apologized, told him I do understand German, just not that word.. and he said "Actually your German is good" (This entire conversation was in German) He looked at the paperwork, used his big stamp, and I was on my way.
Then I braved the 4 hour return drive on the autobahn. At first I was a bit timid, and stayed in the right lane. After a while though, and once I was sure of where I was going, I was driving right along at about 100mph. Most of the time I was passing people, except for the times I had to get over because someone else was going so fast, I looked like I was standing still.
It's nice to have our car now, as nice as Julia has been in lending hers. Chris feels more independant, and it's a nice little piece of home.
Winter 2014
12 years ago
1 comment:
Yay!!! Do you have to take a driving test in Germany in order to drive there and will you have to get special license plates?
Post a Comment